Electronic Prescription Service
The Electronic Prescription Service (EPS) allows prescriptions to be sent direct to pharmacies through IT systems used in GP surgeries. Eventually EPS will remove the need for most paper prescriptions.
If you normally collect repeat prescriptions from the same place, or if you collect them on behalf of someone else, you could benefit from the service:
- you can collect repeat prescriptions directly from a pharmacy without visiting your GP
- you won't have paper prescriptions to lose
- you may spend less time waiting in the pharmacy
- the service is reliable, secure and confidential
Is this service right for you?
Yes, if you have a stable condition and you:
- don't want to go to your GP Practice every time to collect your repeat prescription
- collect your medication from the same place most of the time or use a prescription collection service
It may not be if you:
- don't get prescriptions very often
- pick up your medication from different pharmacies
How you can use EPS:
You need to choose a pharmacy for your GP practice to electronically send your prescription to. This is called a NOMINATION.
If you're a patient you can find more about electronic prescriptions on the NHS Choices website.